Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Durham...a Place I Call Home

As many of you know I have finally made it to Durham, North Carolina! My tenure at Duke Divinity School has begun and I couldn't be more pleased. The Div school is phenomenal in all the ways the word phenomenal falls short. Sitting under the pedagogy of people such as Stanley Hauerwas and Richard Hays is impressive, but the entire faculty is distinguished. All of my current professors have surpassed any expectations I have may have held entering the Div school. In short, I'm loving the academic environment here. Not to mention, of course, that the Div school knows how to have fun outside of the classroom as well. String together cookouts, dance clubs, tailgating, and Div school parties and you've got an idea of what my first week here looked like. Basically, Durham is the best place on earth. Here's a look at what my semester looks like:

Church History 13: Early and Medieval Christianity with Dr. J. Warren Smith.
I'll be reading:

Anselm of Canterbury, The Major Works.
Athanasius, On the Incarnation.
Augustine of Hippo, The Confessions.
J.N.D. Kelly, Early Christian Doctrines.
Thomas Merton, The Wisdom of the Desert Sayings of the Desert Fathers of the Fourth Century.
Origen, Commentary on the Gospel according to John.
William Placher, A History of Christian Theology an Introduction.

Introduction to Christian Theology CT 32 with Dr. J. Kameron Carter.
I'll be reading:

Barth, Karl. Prayer.
Bonhoeffer, D. Life Together.
Calvin, John. Instruction in Faith (1537), ed. and trans. Paul T. Fuhrmann.
Johnson, Luke Timothy. The Creed: What Christians Believe and Why it Matters.
Luther, Martin. Large Catechism, ed. and trans. Robert Fischer.
Merchant, Carolyn. Reinventing Eden: The Fate of Nature in Western Culture.
Placher, William C. (ed.) Essentials of Christian Theology.
Thurman, Howard. Jesus and the Disinherited.

Making Disciples in the Wesleyan Tradition PAR 148 with Dr. Paul W. Chilcote.
I'll be reading:

Paul Chilcote, Changed from Glory into Glory.
Paul Chilcote, The Wesleyan Tradition.
Francis MacNutt, Healing.
Sondra Matthaei, Making Disciples.
Robert Mulholland, Shaped by the Word.
Christine Pohl, Making Room.
Mark Stamm, Sacraments and Discipleship.

Introduction to Old Testament Interpretation OT11 with Dr. Stephen B. Chapman.
I'll be reading:

Peter Enns, Inspiration and Incarnation.
Abraham J. Heschel, The Sabbath.
Mariano Magrassi, Praying the Bible.
Victor H. Matthews, A Brief History of Ancient Israel.
Richard D. Nelson, The Historical Books.
James B. Pritchard, The HaperCollins Concise Atlas of the Bible.
Gordon J. Wenham, Story as Torah: Reading Old Testament Narrative Ethically.
R. Norman Whybray, Introduction to the Pentateuch.

Basically, I've got a lot ahead of me but it's quite exciting! I'm not sure yet what the status of this blog will be but I'm hoping to at least post relatively frequently. If you're really lucky perhaps I'll even post some of my shorter papers...oooh, fun!

6 comments:

Randy Huff said...

Wow, that is an amazing lineup. Would love to dig in like you will be doing.
Blessings and a wonderful endeavor.
RH

Michael R. Cline said...

I'm a little jealous. I'll have to post my classes and textbooks when Fall quarter arrives. So many great texts though! Good luck friend

Will said...

Ran across your site by accident, but wanted to say blessings on your time at Duke. I graduated from there three years ago and still miss it terribly. You'll have a great time, and yes, the profs are great. You've named the big one, but you will really like Dr. Smith. He isn't a big name (yet), but he's fantastic.

Kevin K. Wright said...

And just think, it's only the beginning.

Erick said...

So you are only reading Anselm as a representative of Medieval theology? That is somewhat disappointing.

While on the subject, here's my book list for the semester:
for Historical Method-
Bloch, Historian's Craft
Butterfield, Whig Interpretation of History
Foucault, Archeology of Knowledge
Newman, Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine
Bury, Idea of Progress
Kuhn, Structure of Scientific Revolutions
Chadwick, From Bossuet to Newman
Gonzalez, Changing Shape of Church History
Collingwood, Idea of History

for Early Church-
Staniforth, Early Christian Writings
Athanasius, On the Incarnation
Augustine, De Trinitate
Tertullian, Origen, and Cyprian, On the Lord's Prayer
Maximus, On the Cosmic Mystery of Christ
Chadwick, Early Church
Davis, First Seven Ecumenical Councils

for Medieval Church-
Southern, Making of the Middle Ages
Bernard of Clairvaux, Honey and Salt
Pseudo-Dionysius, Celestial Hierarchy
Cloud of Unknowing
Rule of Benedict
Athanasius, Life of Anthony
Spade, Five Texts on the Medieval Problem of Universals
Cantor, Civilization of the Middle Ages
Eckhart, Selected Writings
Anselm, Major Works
Aquinas, Selected Writings
Boethius, Consolation of Philosophy
Richard of St. Victor- Twelve Patriarchs
Hildegard, Selected Writings
Evans, Medieval Theologians
Logan, History of the Church in the Middle Ages
Thomas a Kempis, Imitation of Christ
Julian of Norwich, Showings of Divine Love
Cassian, Conferences
Augustine, The Gift of Perseverance
Frank, With Greater Liberty
Dunn, Emergence of Monasticism
Leo the Great, Sermons 1-5
Rorem, Pseudo-Dionysius
Golitsin, Mystagogy of Dionysius Areopagita
Duffy, Saints and Sinners
Einhard, Life of Charlemagne
Morris, Papal Monarchy
Krey, Discovery and Trial of the Holy Lance
Constable, Twelfth-Century
Southern, Anselm: Portrait in a Landscape
Mews, Peter Abelard
Grant, God and Reason in the Middle Ages
Lambert, Medieval Heresy

...I decided not to list the ones of which we are only reading a section since that would take up a bit more space. As you can guess, my classes are much more reading focused than smaller assignment focused. I think I have 4 papers this semester, not too bad.

Hope all is well with you. Great to see you are reading some good texts. Email me your number and I'll give you a call some evening.
pax Christi,
Erick

Anonymous said...

Wow Ben! No wonder Duke gives students a week in the fall to catch up :) We have Francis MacNutt's book here; Dad and I went to see him in Florida some years ago. I am impressed with this selection; good luck with it!!
Mom R